- Put the trout fillet in a dish.
- Toast the fennel and the carraway seeds together in a dry pan and crush down a little in a pestle and mortar. Then add the salt, chilli and turmeric.
- Chop the ginger and the garlic and add these to the pestle and mortar.
- Finally add the yoghurt and mix to a paste.
- Spread the paste all over the trout and leave to marinate for at least an hour.
- Light the BBQ.
To make the coriander and mint yoghurt
- Mix together the yoghurt and herbs and reserve until required.
To make the quick pickled red onions
- Thinly slice the red onion.
- Bring the soft brown sugar and cider vinegar to a simmer.
- Take the mixture off the heat, add the sliced onion, season and stir.
- Cover with a lid and allow to cool.
- When the coals on the BBQ are covered in white ash, scorch the trout over extremely hot coals, or directly on the coals if you prefer, until cooked to your liking.
- Leave the trout to rest for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice or flatbreads, the pickled onion, herby yoghurt and a wedge of lemon.